Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Grocery Challenge 2012

2

We are overwhelmingly excited for our new home, but a little nervous about the actual move. We have a good sized condo with lots of nooks to store things...like food. Yesterday Bill proposed that we don't buy groceries until after we move...July 9. The natural competitor in me said "Challenge: Accepted."

My cousin Pam was over last night for dinner & we talked about the "no groceries" thing. She couldn't believe we were really willing to try it. Bill reminded me that this would mean no Chais in the morning...and when I got to work this morning I realized I am running low on protein bars too (my mid-morning snack) so I decided to revamp the plan. Until we move into the new house, we won't buy any LARGE amounts of groceries. I think one, maybe two trips to Costco is all I will need to do. I need one gallon of milk, a pack of Chai, and a box of protein bars. I'm only human. You didn't seriously think I could go 5 weeks without Chai!?

The best part? I'm going to share this journey with all of YOU! I know, photos of food are usually pretty nasty looking; smelling food is more appealing. I just think this experience will get pretty hilarious towards the end & to me, that's blog-worthy. Let's jump into it!!

First, we have lunch from yesterday. I had a leftover sandwich from lunch over the weekend, which was too soggy and gross for me to eat, so I pitched it (I know, I know), water, an apple from our CSA, a carrot from our CSA which I peeled and cut into sticks, and a yogurt. Yum!

Lunch, 5/23
 Dinner last night was fun, I had chicken tenders from the CSA I wanted to use, so I marinated them in my favorite home made Asian marinade - soy sauce, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, sesame oil, hot mustard & chili flakes. YUM! We also had baked potatoes (which Bill & I eat with A1. I know how weird that sounds, but it's delicious.)
Dinner, 5/23
 Breakfast this morning I forgot to snap a photo of, but I eat the same thing every morning at 9am: rolled oats with apple sauce, dried fruit & nuts. (Chai is 7:30am & protein bar is 11am - I love my routines!!)

Lunch today looks a lot less exciting than it really was. I forgot to snap a photo of my chicken patty, but I had one of those & TWO carrots, peeled & cut into sticks, with our last single-serve hummus cup.
Lunch, 5/24
I have an apple & a yogurt here for my afternoon snack if I need it.

I'm not sure what dinner will be tonight, but I love this challenge! To us, these meals are pretty normal so far, which you may think "There is something wrong with you..." but we just don't eat very much & we eat whatever we have! Like I said, the longer this goes the more bizarre the meals will get so if you think these are weird...stay tuned!! 5 more weeks of this :)

45 days & counting to move-in!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think this is weird at all; we could all stand to get a little more resourceful rather than just throwing things out or letting them sit and go stale or bad. And now I really want some carrot sticks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I'm not alone!! Our freezer is still FULL of food (though our fridge is officially bare...) so I know we really don't NEED to shop, even a week into the 'Challenge'.

      ...I didn't even know I liked carrot sticks until I forced myself to eat them. De-licious!

      Delete