Sunday, March 29, 2015

So Darn Lucky

0

Knowing our family dynamic is going to change significantly in a few weeks with the arrival of Mo has been on my mind lately. I have been trying to be sure to give LW extra adventure and help him excel at every skill now while I have the time, because I know when Mo arrives I will be a human feed bag again and my patience for "adventure" in the mud or the dog dish will dwindle. 

But, LW isn't the only man in the house that I have been attentive to lately. Bringing a baby into the mix is going to take a lot from my husband too and having the groundwork to a strong, healthy relationship is important now more than ever. This article (http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/relationships/advice/a25665/habits-happy-couples/?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1443_161413181) gave me the warm and fuzzies because it reminded me how lucky we are. 

Yesterday Hubs and I went to the aquarium with some friends who are visiting from out of town. The whole drive down Hubs and I talked. It wasn't just "we should save this much money for this" or "we should remember to do that" typical chores talk, it was genuine, wonderful conversation. Moments like that remind me that we are so damn lucky. It is such a blessing to have a completely honest marriage. Even when he bugs me, I can tell him exactly what he did. I can talk about what bothers me and he is respectful of that. He listens. 

On the flip side, as a pregnant mom right now, I'm sure many of you understand when I say that I don't have the longest fuse. I'm not as patient as I normally am or as understanding at times...and Hubs doesn't have a problem giving me gentle reminders. He is sincere about it but he is honest and tells me when my attitude is getting out of line. 

I'm so thankful to have that kind of man in my life. I know we aren't perfect and marriage isn't always easy, but one thing I do know is we both work for it. We both do all we can to give the other what they need. And, we both do everything we can for our boys. It's true now before Mo is in our arms and will continue to be true when he is here and squealing, spitting and pooping everywhere.  

While many of you busily and excitedly prepare for a new arrival, be sure to take an assessment of the relationship you have with the man who helped put that baby in your belly. Because he is the one who will be up with you on sleepless nights. He will be the one you beg to hold the baby for five more minutes so you can shower. He will be the one who is your cheerleader to keep breastfeeding. To keep trying a new swaddle technique. To turn the house upside down trying to find the favorite paci. 

Build him up, because he gave you the most incredible gift in the world. He made you a mom....and you gave it right back by making him a dad. Give that man a smooch and remind him how special it is to have him in your life today and every day. 

I love you, Hubs! Thanks for being my main man. I can't wait to see what being a family of four is like with you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment