Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Why I Go To Church

0


I'm sure you're reading the title of this post thinking, "Because God is good." - I mean, that's why most people go to church, isn't it?

I agree, God is good. All the time. But this week while I sat in the pew listening to my pastor's sermon I took a deep breath. Probably the first one I had taken in a week. I'm about to say something bold...

I go to church to get away from life. 

Don't get me wrong, my life is wonderful, beautiful and about as close to rainbows and unicorns as you can get... but sometimes I just need to breathe.

I go to church to listen to adults speak. I go to church to breathe for an hour, without a toddler tugging on my hands and arms and ears. I go to church to unwind and for an hour a week, I can have time to just be. I don't owe anyone a meal. I don't have to teach anyone life skills. I can just sing along to songs I have kept in my heart for years. I can drift into a state of consciousness that wonders and wishes.

Many days I pray throughout the day. I hear tidbits of news stories or receive texts from friends with good news and bad, and as the days progress I pray throughout. I don't go to church to pray. I go to church to think.

Of course, church is filled with other joys and concerns of the community which help encourage me to get involved or learn more about those around me. But really, I'm selfish. Sometimes I don't want to get involved, and sometimes I can't bear the weight of others. I just want an hour to escape and think. Once I have thought, I feel rejuvenated and ready to get involved.

I think I had a lightbulb moment this week. They call it a "sanctuary" for a reason.

Why do you go to church? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment