Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Easiest-Ever Broccoli Cheese Soup

0

Since spring can't seem to stick around and we even had a moment of summer here, cooking and meal planning has been challenging lately. One day it's 85º and we need to turn the air on, when the next morning it's drizzly and 65º.

Yesterday I was chilly and I had a pile of broccoli I needed to use. I had pinned this delicious, easy broccoli cheddar soup recipe and knew that was what's for lunch.

Since I work from home, and never really know if/when there will be a meltdown coming from Billy when I will NEED to excuse myself from work, I take my iPad with me all over the house throughout the work day so I don't miss a beat. I like to joke that I've mastered the work/life balance:
This recipe is fast and easy and I made it with whatever I had on hand. You can find the original here.

For my version you'll need:
3C chicken stock
3C fresh broccoli florets
1C chopped white onion (about 1 small onion)
1C whole milk
2C shredded cheese

To make it:
Pour chicken stock in medium sauce pan and add chopped onion and broccoli. Heat on medium-high to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn heat to medium and add whole milk. Add salt/pepper to taste and cook until soup begins to simmer (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese.

I like to have roasted chicken tenders on hand all the time to add to veggies we eat for lunches, and they were perfect in this soup!
Warm and comforting, this soup hit the spot! Billy loved it too:
I love having soups for lunch because everything is the perfect texture for him to mash up in his sensitive little mouth - I just serve his without the broth. He is getting his two front teeth AND one year molars right now, so easy-to-eat foods are a must! Bonus points when they are easy to cook :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment