Saturday, June 22, 2013

Crispy Onion Chicken

1

This morning Billy slept in after his 'breakfast' at 6am which almost never happens, and that allowed me to get a few extra hours of sleep! With the energy from a few more hours of sleep I was able to cook, clean and bake today! *fist pump* 

For dinner I made "Crispy Onion Chicken" from this recipe with a hair of a twist. 

Crispy Onion Chicken (original recipe here)
  • 1/2 stick butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup original french-fried onions, crushed
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Directions

  • In a shallow bowl, combine the butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Dip chicken in the butter mixture.
  • Place in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Drizzle with all remaining butter mixture & top with onions. 
  • Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. 
As you can see from the photo, I served this tasty chicken with broccoli & brown rice with quinoa. It was such a hearty and satisfying dinner! Baking in the summer typically isn't my speed, but we have a little convection oven that's just perfect for dinners for two.

The chicken is crunchy, salty and juicy. It's almost like fried chicken from the crunch of the onions, but it's buttery and decadent all on its own. This is absolutely a keeper recipe!

My first time making it I followed the original recipe exactly. I used two chicken thighs instead of four breasts and it was wayyy too much butter for us. This time I cut the butter in half and used two breasts and it was perfect.

I also used fresh garlic and salt instead of garlic salt because I have some garlic starting to stink up my kitchen. Vampires won't come knocking on this door anytime soon.

I tucked the fresh garlic bits in the crevices of the chicken breasts when I dipped it in the butter mixture – it gave the chicken such a wonderful flavor.

For dessert I wanted something chocolatey, and while I was waist-deep exploring our deep freezer today I discovered a box of Ghiradelli brownie mix! Typically I don't bake from a box but I'm not too proud to use what I have on hand. I substituted the vegetable oil the recipe called for with 1/3 cup apple sauce & 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil. I don't think the consistency of the brownie is quite right so the next batch I'll have to play to find the proper oil balance. They are a little more "cake" than "brownie" this time around.

I have little to no self control with sweets, so I like to find healthy alternatives to fats or oils while baking. This batch is not quite right, but when paired with an ice cream sandwich as it's own sundae, who cares?! ...if only I had caramel sauce and whipped cream...
My little guy has been napping all day like a champ so I've been able to get a lot done. Yesterday he was awake and alert for much of the day, so I was able to snap some photos of him. Please excuse me while I melt:
 I'm still learning my camera, so they're a touch blurry.
 The blurriness doesn't make him any less adorable.
EVERY. SINGLE. TIME Princess walks by Billy, she licks his head or toes or face. He's gotten used to it, and now has started swatting at her once she gets a few good licks in. Note the action shot of his fist. Too hilarious.
I hope you had a productive Saturday!! Bill planted some hosta and day lilies in front of our house PLUS we have planters full of flowers on the front steps! I'll take photos and share it all with you this week. Our home is starting to have a little curb appeal!

1 comment:

  1. He is TOO cute! I love that your dog is so in love with him. My cats are still unsure about Mason, but warming up a little more each day. What was Billy's birth date? I am trying to figure out how far apart our boys are. Mason's was May 22nd.

    Oh, and the chicken looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete