Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Planning for Mommy Time

2


Over the weekend we were blessed with not just one, but TWO incredible showers!!!

One was hosted by my amazing mother in law:
And the other thrown by "the youth" of our church, AKA our amazing Christian Ed Staff.

Seeing all the tiny (and not so tiny!) gadgets and gizmos we can spoil Billy with helped remind Hubs and I that we are very blessed, and our son will be here before we know it!

Since Hubs will only be able to stay home with me for the first week of my leave, I want to plan ahead and get some breakfasts and lunches ready for myself, so I'm not going hungry (like I ever would). Hubs will be home for dinner and with the garden, a deep freezer full of meat and a new grill, we should be set in that department!

So far I have these items planned to prep and freeze in advance or stock up on:

  • Oatmeal Banana Muffins - I know I've written about how they kind of taste like air in the past, but the more I eat them, the more I like them. They're beautifully satisfying when I have a baked good craving and I think they'll come in handy while I'm nursing B. 
  • Frozen fruit for smoothies - I keep berries, pineapple and juice on hand at all times so I can toss them all in a mason jar and have a smoothie in no time! 
  • Whole wheat bread 
  • Lunch meat/cheese
  • Oatmeal Energy Bites - These are a favorite in our house and I'm sure the first few weeks (months?! forever?!) I will be too drained to do that much stirring and rolling and baking, so I better make a few batches to have on hand for Hubs and I.
  • BBQ Turkey Meatballs - I LOVE having these around to snack on. I just mix up ground turkey with bread crumbs, an egg, BBQ sauce, onion powder and garlic salt. Super simple, takes a few minutes to roll them all up and bake them for 15 minutes. They are an awesome protein boost and make a great, snackable lunch when I'm busy/running around. Finger food is my friend. 
  • Pancakes - My mom gave us a biiiiig bag of Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix so I will utilize that and make a bunch of cakes to freeze and have for breakfast! 
  • Breakfast sandwiches - Are you noticing a theme? Breakfast is my favorite and not knowing what I will have for breakfast sends me into a panic, so I will be sure to stock up on breakfast sandwiches at Costco because once a week I like to "treat" myself to a sausage, egg and cheese sammy :) Who says Mamas can't have treats?!
  • Oatmeal - just bought a BIG box from Costco yesterday! I'm set. 
  • Mac & cheese - I'm only human, guys. 
Am I missing anything? I'd love to hear from experienced Mamas – what snacks and meals came in handy when you were home alone, taking care of a newborn?

2 comments:

  1. Jess-
    Thanks for stopping by my site!! It's always great to meet a fellow mommy. Your snacks sound so delicious, I ate deli sandwiches for lunch practically every day the first month. Anything you can freeze now and warm up in the microwave later is great, you are definitely on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For smoothies, I have a small blender that transforms into a to go cup. I throw in some yogurt and fresh and frozen fruit, blend it, and get back to writing. It's easy to wash, too, with a bottle brush (which you could probably use on some of Billy's stuff).

    ReplyDelete